Asa N. Ballard

Excepted from
HISTORY OF RICHLAND COUNTY, OHIO
COMPILED BY A. A. GRAHAM.


Thanks to Stephen E. Williams for researching this excerpt.

 


BALLARD, ASA N., A. B., M. D., one of the practicing physicians of Shelby; he was born in Clinton Co., Ohio, Oct. 17, 1842; he spent his younger days on the farm. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Co. D, 48th O. V. I.; served four years and eight months, being retained six months after the close of the war for garrison duty in Texas, during which long period he missed but few days duty; he took part in four sieges, ten hard-fought battles, besides many skirmishes, a. full share of marching, etc. ; the principal engagements were Shiloh, Corinth, Holly Springs, Chickasaw Bluffs, Arkansas Post, Vicksburg, Jackson, Sabine Cross Roads, La., Pensacola, Fla., Fort Blakely, and Mobile; he re-enlisted in February, 1864, but, before getting his furlough, was captured in the battle of Sabine Cross Roads, La., April 8, 1864 ; marched about two hundred miles to Tyler, Texas, where he, with over three thousand others, were kept for six and a half months almost exclusively on Indian meal and beef diet, in a stockade inclosure, with mother earth for a bed and a Texan sky for a covering; after his release, he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in December, 1865, and at once detailed for staff duty, in which capacity he traveled through Texas, but most of the time was Acting Ordnance Officer of the Eastern District of Texas, with headquarters at Galveston; upon arriving at Columbus for final muster-out, May 22, 1866, he was commissioned Captain by brevet. He then attended and taught school alternately until he completed the classical course at the National Normal School, in 1871 ; for a few years following, he superintended public schools, closing his labors in that direction as Principal of the Eighth Ward, Indianapolis. He married Miss Mary Harrison, of Morrow Co., Ohio, in 1873. While in Indianapolis, he began the study of medicine under Dr. J. B. Hurd, but resided in Cincinnati while attending medical lectures, practicing in the Free Dispensary during vacations, until he graduated at Pulte Medical College in 1876; in March of the same year located in Shelby, where he enjoys a good practice.

 

Return to the 48th OVVI Veterans Page

 

webmaster@48ovvi.org
11/15/2003