Company B, 48th OVI

Delaware County, Ohio

Contributed by Steve Michaels

Excerpted from
History of Delaware County and Ohio

Published by O. L. Baskin and Co., Historical Publishers, Chicago, 1880
(Reprinted by Unigraphic Inc., Evansville, Indiana, 1973)


Company B, of the Forty-eighth Infantry, was recruited in the autumn of 1861, mostly in Delaware County, by William L. Warner and Joseph W. Lindsey, the latter of whom furnished us the leading facts for this sketch. Messrs. Warner and Lindsey had both enlisted at the outbreak of the war, in Company C. Capt. Crawford, Fourth Ohio Infantry, and served several months in West Virginia, receiving their "baptism of fire" at Rich Mountain, the first battle of the war.

Company B, with the Forty-eighth Regiment, was mustered into the service of the United States at Camp Dennison in December, 1861, with the following commissioned officers: William L. Warner, Captain; Joseph W. Lindsey, First Lieutenant, and David W: Plyley, Second Lieutenant. Of the non-commissioned officers, a Sergeant and two Corporals, viz., Reed, Shannon and Reddick, were not of Delaware Corporals, viz., Reed, Shannon and Reddick, were not of Delaware County, but represented about twenty enlisted men from Brown County, recruited there to fill up the company. The regiment was completed and ordered to the held in February, 1866, descending the Ohio to Paducah where it remained for a short time. On the 8th of March, it embarked on the steamer Empress and proceeded up the Tennessee River to Pittsburg Landing, where it arrived on the 14th, and participated in the great battle of Shiloh on the 6th and 7th of April. Company B suffered severely in these engagements. In the first volley fired in the battle of the 6th, Private Aaron Sales was killed. During this day's fight, Privates E. J. Hill, L. Mallott and William James were mortally wounded; the first two died on the field, and the latter a few days after on the hospital boat. Many others were wounded, among them, Lieuts. Lindsey and Plyley, the latter severely. The company was again engaged on Monday, the 7th, and, on the last charge on the retiring foe, Capt. Warner, who had escaped unhurt in the first day's fight, was shot through the head and killed. On Tuesday morning, the8th of April, the Forty-eighth was ordered in pursuit of the retreating rebels, and, after a day of intense hardship, returned to camp. While remaining in camp here, the regiment suffered severe loss from sickness; at one time, an Officer was detached from another company to command Company B, which death and sickness had left without a commissioned officer. The Forty-eighth took an active part in the-siege of Corinth, and after that went on the expedition to Holly Springs. After various marches through Northern Mississippi and Western Tennessee, it reached Memphis about the middle of summer (1862), where the officers of Company B--Capt.Lindsey (who had been promoted since the death; of Capt. Warner), and Lieuts. Plyley and Nevins- joined it. The regiment remained here until late in December, doing provost duty, and was then ordered on the "Castor Oil expedition," down the Mississippi, and, early in January, found itself in the Yazoo Bottom, participating in the disastrous attack on Chickasaw Bluffs. Its next active service was at Arkansas Post and Port Hyndman, where about seven thousand rebels were captured, on the 11th of January, 1863. It next went to Young's Point, La., where Capt. Lindsey commanded the regiment, the field officers being absent. Lieut. Plyley was detailed on the Signal Corps; Lieut. Nevins resigned, leaving Company B in command of Sergeant Reed, who was soon after promoted to Second Lieutenant.

The next move of the regiment was to Milliken's Bend, about the end of February, where it remained until April, and then set out on the march, finally arriving at James' Plantation, below Vicksburg, on the Mississippi River. Thence it moved, at midnight, on a rapid march, and the next day took part in the battle of Port Gibson. During the siege of Vicksburg, where it was engaged in various and arduous duties, and much of the time exposed to great danger. On the 22nd of May, it suffered severely in the assault made upon the rebel works around the doomed city. The Colonel being absent, and the Lieutenant Colonel and the Major both being wounded, the command of the regiment again devolved on Capt. Lindsey. Early in September, the Forty-eighth was transferred, with the Thirteenth Corps, to the Department of the Gulf; and for a while stationed at Carrolton, a suburb of New Orleans. While in this department, the regiment re-enlisted as veterans, under General Order 291, from the War Department. Under this order it was entitled to a thirty days' furlough in the State of Ohio, but this was refused by Gen. Banks on the pretext that the exigencies of the times would not permit it. It took part in the Red River expedition, and was at the battle of Sabine Cross Roads, on the 8th of April, 1864, where it suffered severe loss, and wits finally captured, thus going on a captivity of several months instead of a furlough to Ohio. In the following November it was exchanged, and granted a veteran furlough after its return to New Orleans. In January, 1865, the regiment, under orders from Gen. Canby, commanding the department, was consolidated with the Eighty-third Ohio, a non-veteran regiment-which was heartily resented by the veterans. The consolidated regiment was at once sent to Florida, where it took part in the Mobile campain, and was engaged in the battle of Fort Blakely, one of the last of the war. After the term of the Eighty-third had expired, the Forty-eighth Veterans were orgoanized into the Forty-eighth Ohio Veteran Battalion," consisting of four companies, under command of Lieut. Col. J. R. Lynch, formerly First Sergeant of Company B, and kept on provost duty in Texas, about Galveston, nearly a year after the close of the war, when they were finally mustered out and discharged, in the summer of 1866.

Williarn L. Warner, the first Captain of Company B (of the Forty-eighth), who was killed the battle of Shiloh, was a son of Rev. Lorenzo Warner, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Chaplain of the Fourth Infantry, the frst regiment which drew men from Delaware County. First Lieut. Lindsey, after the death of Capt. Warner, was promoted to Captain of Company B, and, in August, 1863, was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. First Sergent Lynch was promoted to Second Lieutenant, then to First Lieutenant and Captain and mustered out as Lieutenant Colonel. Sergeant Nevins was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and resigned in 1863. . Byers was promoted from Sergeant to First Lieutenant November 1864. Sergeant John It. Reed was promoted to Second and then to First Lieutenant. Jacob H. Smith was promoted from Corporal to Sergeant, and then to Lieutenant. There may have been other promotions which have escaped our attention.



Return to the 48th OVVI Recruitment Page